Building Blocks of Freedom
- Leaders and lawmakers are appointed to office through free and fair elections.
- Government is accountable to the electorate between elections and operates with openness and transparency
- All citizens, including members of ethnic, religious and other minority groups, have full political rights and electoral opportunities.
- The right of all to organize in political parties of their choice, free from interference from the military, totalitarian parties or any other powerful group
- Judicial independence
- Freedom of the media and cultural expression
- Religious institutions and communities are free to practice their faith and express themselves in public and private
- Academic freedom is fully upheld and the educational system is free of political indoctrination
- Freedom of assembly, demonstration, and open public discussion
- Trade unions are free and active and effective collective bargaining takes place
- Equality of opportunity, with all citizens having the right to own property and establish private businesses without undue interference from government officials, the security forces and political interest groups.